Vegan Mashed Bean Quesadilla
This is not the prettiest thing we eat, but I thought I’d share the recipe because I’m not sure if you know the magic of mashed beans. I love quesadillas… but then again I love all Mexican food. Since I don’t eat cheese or even the substitute cheese, I thought the makings of a quesadilla would be over, until I found the brilliant idea of mashed beans. Obviously, they serve as the glue between the two tortillas and everything in between. On this particular day I splurged and had it with a regular flour tortilla, but I normally make these with corn. Either way, fill it up with all your favorite goodies and voila. Inside this version we have sauteed onions and peppers and a dash of cilantro.
Extremely easy, filling, and adaptable to non-vegans. This has to be one of Mike’s favorites… his has cheese of course =)
Flour or corn toritillas
Mashed beans (I use Amy’s from Whole Foods)
Salt & pepper
Served on the side: salsa and homemade guacamole.
1. Heat up beans.
2. Saute onions and bell peppers until tender. I typically only use salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder when cooking them.
3. In another pan drizzle olive oil and let heat up on low.
4. Lay one tortilla flat in pan and spread mashed beans.
5. On top of the mashed beans put the cooked onions and bell peppers and sprinkle some cilantro.
6. If you are a vegetarian this is the time to sprinkle the cheese.
7. Put the second tortilla on top and flip.
8. Once both sides are crispy enough, serve!